Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The remains of a giant


The huge black oak which dominated the back half of the garden was taken down this week. The tree seemed healthy, but recently it dropped an enormous, live limb. It also had a slight tilt - in fact it leaned directly towards the house. I agonized over the decision, but the thought of several tons of wood dropping onto our house during a storm helped me to make the decision.


I have not been able to find any sign of decay in the trunk.


It's surprising how little damage the tree crew did: parts of the area under the tree were trashed, but other than that the garden escaped major damage.


We're keeping the wood and the chippings. I'll be working (struggling) to store the wood at the periphery of the garden during the next few months. There is enough oak firewood there to last us the rest of our lives. And here's an idea: maybe I'll start a shiitake farm!


I'll try to make a ring count soon and report it in a future entry.

No comments: