Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Off to a good start


Here’s a photo of my breakfast this morning: eggs deep fried in scorching hot olive oil, crusty bread spread with garlic infused olive oil then toasted and cottage cheese with minced scallions and cilantro and lemon zest – everything sprinkled with black Marmara olives. Believe me, this is a great way to start the day.


I've been reading Susanna Hoffman's The Olive and the Caper, a book about Greek food. She calls these deep fried eggs Greek eggs. I mentioned to my Greek neighbor Nick that I was making Greek eggs lately. I had to explain to him what I meant. When I did, he chuckled and said "I haven't had those since my grandmother made them". To put that into perspective, Nick was probably born sometime around the First World War, and is thus just beginning his tenth decade.

No comments: