Monday, June 14, 2010

Arisaema candidissimum

The arisaemas on the monsoon schedule are beginning to grow and bloom now. I’ve found some of these to be very difficult to keep, but others are relatively easy, including the one shown above, Arisaema candidissimum.

I’m trying this one again after tossing the ones I had decades ago. That earlier acquisition was planted in a shady part of the garden and, although the plants bloomed each year, the stem of the inflorescence elongated and flopped into the mud after a day or two. After years of this I simply lost interest and tossed them. When I mentioned this on an on-line discussion forum, I was advised to plant them where they get more sun. By then those original plants were compost, but I vowed to try again – this time in a sunnier spot.

No comments: